Amidst the scare and prevention against COVID-19, Global events are either being postponed, canceled or being moved. Most of these events are organized periodically which includes various sport events, music festivals, conferences, food festivals, wellness events, political happenings and many more in which masses participate.
Some major events happening in 2020 are Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Expo 2020 in Dubai, 2020 US elections, Wimbledon in London, Asia’s Club Women Championship, F1 Grand Prix 2020, UEFA Champion’s league, Burning Man festival in the USA, Google I/O 2020 conference, Indian Premier League in India.
Impact on the major events during global pandemic- Coronavirus
- Wimbledon is scheduled to run from June 29th to July 12 However, amid the London shutdown, it may be postponed to a later date as French Open has already been postponed.
- Summer Olympics 2020 is to be held in Tokyo, Japan from 24th July to 9th The communiqué released by IOC has said that “there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage” and they will act in a “responsible way”.
- 2020 US election is scheduled to happen on November 3rd,2020. However, there are speculations on how voting will take place at voting booths when large people come to vote.
- Asian Women’s Club Volleyball championship postponed to August 10th – 17th.
- Expo 2020 Dubai will begin in late October 2020 lasting for 173 days with 60 live events everyday and 150000 daily visitors on an average.
- F1 Grand Prix 2020: Australian Grand Prix canceled. Vietnam and Bahrain Grand Prix postponed.
- The UEFA Euro league which was scheduled to happen from 11th June to 11th July has been postponed by 12 months. All UEFA matches are on hold till further notice.
- Burning Man 2020 festival scheduled for August 30th to September 15th in Nevada. In its statement, the Burning man projects that “it is too soon to say” on questions of cancellation, however, some of its other events are canceled.
- Google I/O which was scheduled from May 12th to 14th stands canceled.
- Indian Premier League stands suspended till April 15th.
To conclude, C0VID-19 infection has insisted organizers to cancel major events across the globe. It is not only an expensive and terrifying nightmare amid this pandemic but also a huge loss for industries, event organizers, and the involved participants. As the deadly Coronavirus outbreak continues to spread across the globe, it is imperative to maintain a safe environment in the face of a Public Health Emergency and protect ourselves and our loved ones.