To ensure commuter convenience, the Union ministry of road transport and highways has notified some new motor vehicle rules. These new rules and changes, to be effective from 1st October 2020, were brought in by the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
The new notifications issued by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways state that the use of IT services and electronic monitoring will result in better enforcement of traffic rules in India and will lead to removing harassment of drivers and would facilitate the citizens.
- Revoking a Driving License will happen digitally.
- Carrying vehicle Driving License (DL), Registration Certificate (RC), Vehicle Insurance Copies, and other related vehicular documents will not be required from October 2020, if all these documents are validated through the Government portal.
- These important documents can be uploaded on ‘Digi-locker’ or ‘m-Parivahan’ apps. Both applications are easily available in play store. One just needs to register themselves through a mobile number.
- Records of ‘Disqualified License’ etc. will be stored digitally.
- e-Challans will be issued on the portal.
Last but not the least, drivers should also take note, that they can only use mobile phones for route navigation while driving.
To recap, the Motor Vehicle Act was implemented a year ago to revamp transportation rules in India. Click Here.